Rule 10. P/S

Discussion on rules and regulations goes here

Moderator: Senior Admin

Terry Connell

Rule 10. P/S

Post by Terry Connell » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:50 pm

John,
Thank you for your "ROW and Proper Course" dissertation.Excellent.
Can you give me your interpretation of the Rules in the following situation,please?
Recently,using B rig in an IOM race,on port tack (W) there was a boat(L) also on port at a close distance to leeward of me (one boat length or perhaps a little less) giving her ROW over me. L did not luff me.The wind was gusty and the water was rough so we were concentrating hard on getting the best speed and course to windward. I was sailing just a little faster than her.We were both below the lay line so would have needed to tack to round the weather mark to port a good distance ahead.
A boat on Starboard(S) below the lay line,on a collision course with L hailed "Starboard". L could not tack on to port to avoid S because she was close to me.L did not hail me W for "room to tack". A collision between S and L occurred.I, W was nor involved in that.
Both L and W were said to be at fault and required to do a 360 turn.
Is that correct?

John Ball

Re: Rule 10. P/S

Post by John Ball » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:43 am

Port Stbd R 19.jpg
I think this diagram represents your incident.
Green is on Stbd and has ROW (R 10) over Yellow and Red.
Yellow on port, is windward of and must keep clear of Red, also on port under R 11.

As Red and Yellow approach an obstruction, under R 19, it is up to Red, as ROW over Yellow, to decide how to pass Green, the obstruction. If Red decides to tack, she will hail for room to tack under R 20, and Yellow must comply as outlined in R 20.

However if Red does not hail for room to tack, her other option under R 19, is to pass astern of Green, and in so doing, must also leave room fro Yellow to pass astern of Green.

This is discussed in ISAF Case 11 - When boats are overlapped at an obstruction, including an obstruction that is a right-of-way boat, the outside boat must give the inside boat room to pass between her and the obstruction.

In the final summary of Case 11, it says -
PW was not required to ‘tack into open water to windward to keep clear’ because PL did not hail under rule 20.1 for room to tack and avoid S.

So Yellow did not do anything wrong, and Red is at fault under R10 for hitting Green, and R 19.2.b for failing to provide room for Yellow to pass astern of Green.

John
John Ball
IOM CAN 307 (V8)

Terry Connell

Post by Terry Connell » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:02 pm

John,
The situation was a little different from your diagram in that Yellow was alongside Red and Green was not on a course to pass ahead of Red. In my opinion Green, after hailing "Starboard", should have passed astern of the Green Yellow pair and protested.Not to hold his course right up to the point of collision.If he had hailed earlier, Green would have asked Yellow for room to tack which would have put Red right astern of Green. Red could then have tacked on to port and sailed safely away, or he could have stayed on Starboard until he reached the lay line and then tacked on to port.Only when he tacked would both Green then Yellow be able to tack on to port,well above the lay line.

John Ball

Post by John Ball » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:48 pm

Port Stbd R 19 v2.jpg
Here is a revised diagram. However it does not change the discussion. Under R 19, Red gets to choose which side of Green to pass. At P1, Red must do something. By P2 it is too late. If Red chooses to tack, she has to hail for room to tack using R 20. But by not hailing for room to tack, she is making an implicit decision to pass astern of Green, and must give room to Yellow to also pass astern of Green. But from your description - she did nothing - she sailed straight on and collided with Green.

Green, on stbd is not obliged to do anything, except under R 14 - try to avoid a collision - but Green will be exonerated under R 14 provided there is no damage.

Red is still at fault (R10 and R 19.2.b), and Yellow broke no rule.

John
John Ball
IOM CAN 307 (V8)

Terry Connell

Post by Terry Connell » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:50 am

John,
Thank you very much for your time, and skill.
Merry Christmas,

gordon davies

Post by gordon davies » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:36 am

John,

I would agree with most of your analysis.

However when you say 'But by not hailing for room to tack, she is making an implicit decision to pass astern of Green,' I would not phrase the comment in that way.

By not hailing for room to tack Red indicates that she will attempt to keep clear of Green not by tacking but by:

- attempting to cross ahead; in which case Yellow must give her room to do so
- bearing away astern; in which case she must give Yellow room to do likewise
- slowing down (a much neglected tactical measure but in this case it might well be a good tactic as it leaves Yellow in a difficult situation)

Small details perhaps....

Gordon