Wndward boat keep clear ISAF Case Book 60

Discussion on rules and regulations goes here

Moderator: Senior Admin

Dave Alston

Re: Wndward boat keep clear ISAF Case Book 60

Post by Dave Alston » Wed May 06, 2015 7:39 pm

It always happens so very quickly. That is why you must look forward and plan a little.

But I sense that you are desperate to be absolved / forgiven of your sin of colliding with another boat. And perhaps desperate to find some hidden technicality that absolves you of all culpability in the incident.

Well I am sure you were forgiven

This is a GAME, there is a new one next week – get over it – do a turn if you feel you wrong. Don’t do one if you feel you were not and explain/discuss your decision after the race.

Read the rules as they are written – they are in English and do not need interpretation. All of the ISAF Case Book and Interpretation is a nonsense for which radio sailing is, in my opinion , becoming ever the poorer for.

Malcolm Donald

Post by Malcolm Donald » Thu May 07, 2015 7:35 pm

Thanks to everyone who commented. The wind direction was 5 degrees over the stbd quarter so I thought to bear away would be the most prudent action. As I previously stated it all happened so quickly.

Malcolm Donald

Post by Malcolm Donald » Thu May 07, 2015 8:14 pm

Far from the case. I do not know what happens at your club but at mine rule adherance is sadly lacking at times. With regard my previous posts as well as this one I discuss the incidents with the race officer concerned and or the other boats involved and inform them that I will seek clarification on this particular forum.

My last post saw a comment that the model yachting addendum should possibly be reworded as a result of my post.

As Sailing Secretary of a Sailing Club that provides some of the very best yacht and dinghy racing in the UK and a PRO of such events for a number of years it is the advancement of the sport that is my concern. Big Boat skippers and tacticians - mostly professionals - are well aware of rule intricacies; that is their job. Club sailors who race should have the basics. But most importantly, even in a Tuesday morning OAP race with no observers if you break a rule then you do a turn without being called by any of your fellow competitors.

My addage has allways been - Keep out of Trouble.

Malcolm Donald

Post by Malcolm Donald » Thu May 07, 2015 8:37 pm

Thanks John Dave Mike for your replies. much appreciated

Dave Alston

Post by Dave Alston » Fri May 08, 2015 6:50 am

Malcolm

I should like to pick up on your comment:-

Rule adherence at your club but at is sadly lacking at times.

I might suggest that it is no worse than at most other clubs. I visit a number of clubs throughout the year and because of my work in a few countries and get to I hear some very funny calls.

• Keep up No 11 from a windward boat - ( No 11 thinks to himself - Sorry, am I going too slow again - I must speed up.. )

• There is No Water in there No 11 – from a boat that is so wide of the mark that busses and trains are diving thought on the inside - ( No 11 thinks to himself - The water seems deep enough.. what is he on about - I kept clear of him )

• Starboard No 11 from a boat on port - ( No 11 thinks to himself - Have I got port and starboard confused again.. )

• You tacked in my water No 11 - ( No 11 thinks to himself - UHH .. )

• You spoilt my race No 11 - ( No 11 thinks to himself - Oh good that was my intention.. )

And my personal favourite

• What are you doing No 11 - ( No 11 thinks to himself - it obvious Fred - making a total pigs ear of ... )

I believe there to be good reason is for this –

Mostly no one actually wants to discuss an incident / collision after a race in a constructive and friendly way. If a racing incident is discussed, it invariably ends up in confrontation; it becomes a defence of honour.

Try – discussing incidents – with a copy of the RRS rules open – not interpretations of the tiny print version purplish by RYA—The Big Print version you and need part 2 and the definitions.

Make the penalty a little less onerous – like buying the biscuits next week.

And don’t lose sight that this is just a GAME in spite of what the Puritans might say.

We do not have this problem at OUR Club - we simply flog transgressors to an inch of their lives then poke their eyes out.

gordon davies

Post by gordon davies » Tue May 19, 2015 5:07 pm

If a boat clear ahead changes course in such a way that the boat clear astern is not given rule to keep clear then the clear ahead boat breaks rule 16 and should take a penalty. The keep clear boat must manoeuvre promptly, which includes the time needed by the competitor controlling the boat to analyse the situation. and react accordingly.

Gordon