Refunds if unable to attend an event.

Ask your questions here or visit to see what the MYA are saying.

Moderator: Senior Admin

Stephen Haywood

Refunds if unable to attend an event.

Post by Stephen Haywood » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:08 pm

Hi, I entered the IOM Nationals this year, as most people did in February 2017 for an event at the end of August.
Unfortunately due to personal circumstances, I was unable to attend and emailed the event organiser over one month before the event to see if it would be possible for a refund.
I was told that I would be eligible for a refund if someone else took my place, fair enough, at least two new names were added to the list.
But I was told they were always going to go! So no refund!
If I did not turn up or withdrew after the entry closing date I would not mind, but £50 is a substantial amount of money to just throw away.
I do not want, or anyone else to be out of pocket if this situation occurs again in the future.
Could Organisers not only stipulate an entry by date, but also a cancellation by date on the entry form?

What is the MYA policy on refunds?

Kind regards
Steve

Darin Ballington
First Name: Darin
Last name: Ballington

Re: Refunds if unable to attend an event.

Post by Darin Ballington » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:50 am

Steve,

Regulations by which the club should be abiding.

https://mya-uk.co.uk/knowledge_base/mya ... gulations/

Cheers

Stephen Haywood

Post by Stephen Haywood » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:48 am

Thanks Darin,
Quote from the regulations.
"4.12 Except in exceptional circumstances and at the discretion of the host club/race committee, once an entry has been received, the entry fee shall be paid whether the competitor competes or not (unless the entry was withdrawn four weeks before the start of the event). Nonpayment may jeopardise entries being accepted in future MYA events."

So as my request for a refund was outside the four weeks, I should have been entitled to a refund without caveats.

So beware any skippers if you are not able to make an event you entered for, you need to withdraw, at least four weeks before the event if you want your money back.

Kind regards
Steve

Graham Elliott

Post by Graham Elliott » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:30 pm

Hi Stephen, I do understand where you are coming from and understand your frustration as a competitor that has a genuine reason for withdrawing and doing so as to give the organising club time to adjust the budget for this loss in income.

At Birkenhead this year we ran the RG Nats and had 3 no-shows, as I did not make it mandatory to pay the entrance fee in advance and trusted skippers to turn up or at least give me prior warning this loss in revenue was not budgeted for and the out-goings for the lunch's, prizes and expenses could not be adjusted, therefore we barely broke even.

I have learnt from this and will demand payment before the event and refund if 4.12 is adhered to even for the lower entry races. What really annoys me is that it is the same skippers that pull this trick on the organising club, indeed I have just looked and one of the 3 skippers that did not show for the RG's also did not show for the DF's.

Dave Alston

Post by Dave Alston » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:53 am

Graham,

There is a simple fundamental principle:-

Payment of Entry Fee

A Competitor is liable for the payment of the Entry Fee regardless of whether or not they attend. The payment is DUE on the first day of that event or on the date stipulated in the NOR. Entry to subsequent events SHALL be refused by the MYA until that Member is in Good Standing with the MYA.
You should simply notify the MYA of the Members Name and MYA number and deduct the outstanding amount from any payment to the MYA and leave it to the MYA to recover such amounts that may be due by their Member.

This is what Rule 4 actually states but in the passive voice. The use of the word MAY is silly

In other words simply Entering an Event makes one liable to pay the Entry Fee.

The MYA should apply the rules as stated, they are after all their own rules to which a Member agrees when entering. A Host Club clearly does not have the ability/ facility to verify that a Member of the MYA is in good standing and takes it on TRUST that the member is in Good Standing.

By entering an event via the MYA website the MYA or specifically the MYA Race Officer has the clear obligation to verify that that Member is in Good Standing.

The MYA should consider amending the rule/s since they are indeed poorly written:- i.e. gobbledygook and are clearly liable for upholding these rules.

4.12 Except in exceptional circumstances and at the discretion of the host club/race committee…

One Suggests:-

4.12 Entry Fee to an Event is NOT refundable regardless circumstances. A Competitor is liable for the payment of the Entry Fee regardless of whether or not they attend.
Entry to subsequent events SHALL be refused to any subsequent MYA sanctioned events until the MEMBER is in good standing.

Stephens Money

One believes that Stephens money SHOULD be refunded because:-

a/ The Host Club was notified and the place was filled i.e. the entry limit was reached therefore the Host Club did not suffer any damage.

AND
b/ the phrase ' exceptional circumstances ' is subjective and NOT defined.

Simple.
Dave