New to class - lots of questions

Marblehead questions?, Ask here.

Moderator: Senior Admin

Richard98
First Name: Richard
Last name: Moroney

New to class - lots of questions

Post by Richard98 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:08 pm

Decided to dip a toe into the Marblehead class. Just sold my Mini40 to fund project. Have a beautifully moulded Starkers, Creed carbon hull with cored deck, 468grm.. A parallel fin with fairly stubby ballast at 3620grm and guestimate draft of 580mm. Some pics attached.
Would appreciate any advice on several decisions I need to make, and I have read the excellent articles by Brad and Graham plus several others.
Lack of experience with the rig inclines me towards shroudless. However the aft mast tube would need replacing with the same size diameter as the forward swing rig tube; is it worth the hassle?
Can a swing rig just be fitted as shroudless anyway, with a few mods of course.
What are the different rig ratios and how do I determine which I need. I have a very old PJ top swing rig to play with initially.
I really want to dual rate as a 10R also so, once again which is the best top (max area) rig to go for; plus swing or shroudless ?
Thinking of stumping up for an RMG, however as this is my "starter" boat which slower winch is worth considering. (have RMG in my IOM)
So there we are for starters. Looking for any used sails/rigs to get a good feel before commissioning new, so where is everyones spare/surplus kit ?
Thanks for reading. Richard
IMG_4203.jpg
IMG_4202.jpg
IMG_4201.jpg

Derek Priestley

Re: New to class - lots of questions

Post by Derek Priestley » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:40 pm

Must be a very old starkers looking at the shape of the stern!

Derek Priestley

Post by Derek Priestley » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:43 pm

I have old 10r top swing & marblehead swing c rigs available if you want them.

Brad Gibson

Post by Brad Gibson » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:38 am

Hi Richard,

You have found yourself a bit of gold there.
All good questions and my advice to start with would be to look at setting your boat up with similar rig plans and ratios to the well performing Starkers that are out there.
Starting with the fin, it looks standard for the age of the hull in the day. For best performance a longer fin with a longer thinner bulb in the 3.3 - 3.4 range with a draft below WL of 630 - 640mm would be an important consideration.
The hull weight is perfect, no worries there.
The mast tubes should be a large enough diameter for a 14mm swing rig including PTFE bushes, and 14mm for the shroudless rigs snug fit with a method to rake the mast fore and aft for rake and bend.
I would go with a swing rig for the A suit and conventional shroudless for the lower suits as this is the wide popular choice amongst top performing designs. The Starkers does usually favor a bigger headsail ratio of 59 - 41 % for its shroudless sail plan but more recently those racing them have opted for larger roached mainsails with a measurement penalty to power the boat up earlier.
As for dual rating, the Starkers loves any extra power you can throw at it. Both Martin Roberts and myself went off to a 10R Nationals at the Round Pond and placed 2nd and 3rd many years ago both sailing Starkers variants and others have also done well as a 10. Go for it.

The M is a technical, yet simple boat. Get the fin and bulb ratio right on the stiffest fin you can find, Use the stiffest mast tubes possible and get the rig as low to the deck as you can with a well matched suit of sails. Be able to rake your rigs fore and aft with the fin set in its desired position. From there you will find boats from the new to the 21 year old Paradox and Starkers designs racing each other in the top fleets. Deviate from the simple formula and you can forever chase your tail.

I have a GB original B Rig set of sails off our Paradox that we have recently replaced following some pimping and you are more than welcome to have them if they help to get you going. Anything else I can help with please email me bgrcyachting 'at' hotmail.com

Cheers
Brad

Mike Cooke

Post by Mike Cooke » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:15 pm

RMG best winch, but I've got a PJ (larger of the two) winch in my RM which has been doing pretty well so far. Bit cheaper, quite a bit lighter too.

blackbart
First Name: Graham
Last name: Bartholomew

Post by blackbart » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:28 pm

Richard I have sent you a PM

Richard98
First Name: Richard
Last name: Moroney

Post by Richard98 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:18 pm

Hi Graham, thanks for your PM, I have tried to answer several times now but must be doing something wrong.
Yours, Richard